Kensal Gasworks was originally land owned by Sir George Talbot before it was bought by the Western Gas Company in 1845.
The gasworks, constructed under the supervision of the engineer George Holdsworthy Palmer, supplied gas to St Pancras, Marylebone, Bloomsbury, Hampstead, Paddington and Chelsea.
The site was bought by the Gas Light and Coke Company in 1872 and by 1896 the gasworks occupied all of the land to the west of Ladbroke Grove between the railway and the canal.
The gasworks closed in 1970. As with many gasworks across the UK, technological changes in the storage of gas to underground mains resulted in gasholders being made redundant, providing the opportunity for the site to be redeveloped and opened up to the public again.
The gasholders have consent for their removal from the site. This process is underway and will continue over the next few months.
Please use the arrows to scroll through the images below, or swipe to the left if you are viewing on a mobile or tablet.